Mehalah's Voyages

Thursday, 27 July 2023

Bora Bora to Suwarrow: 25th and 26th July

TWO DAYS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE

Yesterday I failed to get the blog sent either by radio or sat phone. Let's hope today is better. So first up yesterday's offering.....

Bora Bora to Suwarrow: Day 5: 25th July 2023
Miles to Suwarrow: 289 miles

Yesterday's mahi mahi was delicious but there was some left over for coconut milk and raw fish cerviche for lunch today and the rest for dinner tonight.

We moved along nicely last night but of course the dreaded 1200-0300 watch copped it again. Sally was just coming up at 1200 when the wind instantly changed direction and we did an uncontrolled tack. With all three sails backed it was "John, we need you now". Half an hour later, lines were rerun and the sails reset. The promised wind shift from NW to SW had happened instantaneously. Once re-established we were able to head directly for Suwarrow.

Today has been pleasant again. We avoided the early morning squalls and had blue skies and sunshine much of the day. Plenty of banter - mostly aimed at me (two women on the boat - not a good idea!)

With the batteries more depleted than usual as we move south in cloudy conditions we took the opportunity to run the generator to 1) make water, 2) top up the batteries and 3) use the sewing machine to mend the protective cover (chaps) for the dinghy.

We now have less than 300 miles to go, hopefully arriving Suwarrow on Friday. So far we have managed to sail it all despite quite tricky conditions. We will then need to decide where to go next. My routine PSA and discussion with Dr Duncan must be completed on 11th August. I may not be able to attend if we decide to go all the way to Tonga next without a stop. If that is the case I will get Emma to change the appointment (again).

As well as weather forecasts from Jenny we are getting up to date forecasts from Glen (Cloudy Bay) who has already arrived in Suwarrow. His Starlink allows him to run revised PredictWind forecast models whenever he wants. It really is impressive. I think a Starlink box will be on my next Christmas list.

Tomorrow is another day.


AND SO TO TODAY.....

Bora Bora to Suwarrow: Day 6: 26th July 2023
Miles to Suwarrow: 159 miles

Last night we saw our first ships. A Chinese mother ship and two fishing boats. Directly ahead of us on a collision course. Amazing. We changed course and passed half a mile away from them. Then at four o'clock Paul stopped working properly (I had set him up 180° from what it should have been). Then the wind stopped and we were forced to motor for the first time.

And we've motored nearly all day with a brief interlude to fly the parasailor, but not enough wind. Batteries are charged, we have got water and finally we gobble up some miles.

Less than 160 miles to go now. We should arrive Friday morning our time. It's another atoll with fringing reef. Inhabited by only two wildlife wardens it's one of the remotest of the Cook Islands, themselves a pretty remote group of islands. We are looking forward to arriving and exploring.

Oh yes, I forgot to say something I saw the other night. I was looking out at the sky at about 45° to the horizon. Suddenly I saw the brightest light come on, brighter than all the stars. It only stayed on for maybe two seconds and then it went out again. I have no idea what it was.

Sally saw a white fin, twice.

Gilly washed her hair and washed some knickers.

I did a bit of maintenance.


You can follow us at: www.noforeignland.com/boat/Mehalah/journey

----------
Sent via SailMail, http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.